Mayor Datuk Seri Mahadi Che Ngah said RM7 million had been set aside for this purpose, adding that this proved City Hall was serious about tackling the effects of climate change. – NSTP/HAIRUL ANUAR RAHIM
KUALA LUMPUR: For the first time, Kuala Lumpur City Hall will introduce a climate change fund in its 2023 Budget to provide initiatives to tackle the effects of climate change.
Mayor Datuk Seri Mahadi Che Ngah said RM7 million had been set aside for this purpose, adding that this proved City Hall was serious about tackling the effects of climate change.
“I had a special meeting with the Energy Commission yesterday and learned that many countries have taken the same initiative to deal with climate change.
“I was also made to understand that investors, particularly those from European countries who come to the region to invest, would seek out buildings in the city that are “green certified,” he told a press conference today.
Mahadi said City Hall’s 2023 Budget had allocated RM2 million from operational allocations and RM5 million from development allocations towards the climate change fund.
The funds would be used for a feasibility study on the plan to set up a district cooling facility in Kuala Lumpur.
“We are considering setting up a district cooling facility in the city to reduce the impact of climate change, especially as it reduces the carbon emissions of buildings.
“The idea has been used in new townships like Putrajaya and Cyberjaya, where a centrally located cooling facility will blast chilled air to buildings around it. This is in contrast to the traditional method that involves buildings individually producing it, which consumes a lot of electricity. This would create a lot of carbon emissions.”
Mahadi added that a feasibility study on the plan should be done first for a city that is more than 100 years old, like Kuala Lumpur.
Meanwhile, City Hall has allocated RM2.604 billion in the 2023 Budget, themed “Sustainable City, Prosperous Together” (Bandar Raya Mampan, Sejahtera Bersama). The focus of the budget is on the needs and wellbeing of the city’s residents.
Mahadi said RM1.96 billion, or 75.3 percent, of the budget would be allocated for City Hall’s operating expenditures and the remaining RM643.7 million (24.7 per cent) would be for development purposes.
The operating expenditures are divided into five main components: services and supplies with an allocation of RM1.277 billion (65.2 per cent); salaries, wages and employee benefits (RM497.7 million; 25.4 per cent); handouts and fixed payments (RM99.2 million; five per cent); overtime payments (RM64.6 million; 3.3 per cent) and other expenditures (RM21.7 million; 1.1 per cent).